Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wants Vs. Needs

Ahh. This weather is killing me. Rain is no fun. End of story. But good thing you make blogs inside!



So at what point do you say this is a pain that will not go away and needs to rest. I was faced with that decision today and man oh man is it the worst decision that I have to make. For example, I had a back spasm a week ago, so my lower back has been extremely tight and has not let up a whole lot and made working out and running an adventure each day. On top of that, the last three chest workouts I have done have ended up with left shoulder pain that ceases to go away. Now these are pains that are not serious in any way because there was no actualy injury. Chances are they are pinched nerves, tight muscles or inflammation. Now usually they can be worked through and will go away on their own. But be careful because not all of them do. Some of them need to be rested totally for a few days so they can have time to get some real recovery in. But when do you know to keep working out with them or to rest them. Well usually I give them three weeks to work themselves out. And if not, then the worst happens. Days with no working out. They are terrible I know.

I want more than anything to be out there demolishing a WOD in record time, hitting new lifting maxes, and running further and faster than I ever have, but none of this is possible if you are not 100%. So it may be worth taking a day or two off to rest and heal so you can return to 100% instead of wasting two weeks working out at 85%. Believe it's way better in the long run. And if I can take a break from the gym then anyone can. There may some some withdrawal but its normal. haha. I just get my gym fill from home by watching youtube videos of new workouts and the CrossFit Games. To anyone wondering there are other ways for different injuries, like working the muscle carefully, but that is for a later post.

So use your judgement wisely and remember your body knows best. Be smart and work hard.

Track

3 mile run in the rain :(

Man I ate some salad and orange before it and that was a mistake. My tummy was not in a running mood. Good thing it was only 3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment