Rest day today. No lie, I needed one today, but it hurts because I know the workout today is a one mile run for time which could quite possibly be one of my favorites. But I am being a good little athlete and taking my rest even though my heart stopped beating. It seems like every rest day I have is the day of an awesome workout! I hate it but what can I do.
So this topic is one that I take personally. For example, yesterday was a team throwdown and it was very competitive. What does that mean, everybody wanted to win. Now I am not calling anybody out, but especially men, I know most of you have probably done this. Adding on a few reps to your total just to beat that guy next to you. Sure it feels good to have won according to the board, but did you win? No! You LOST! Dead last. You cheated yourself, you don't have accurate numbers to track your progress for the next time you do the workout. Not only that but you just straight lied which gets you nowhere.
You might as well sit down and watch people workout and then take their numbers. A lie is a lie. CrossFit is not about being that guy who wins in every WOD or beats the man next to him, it is about who makes the most gains. Sure you dead-lifted more than him, but in a two month period he increased his PR by twice as much as you. That is a true win. It is not about being the guy on top. I would much rather come in dead last in every WOD but make personal gains than to cheat to win and not make gains.
So next time your doing a WOD, be completely honest. I get beat by 40 year old men sometimes, sure they are in freakishly good shape, but still it hurts. But there is no need to lie. You are stealing their deserved glory and cheating yourself from lots like the feeling of success when you break a true PR.
Workout
REST!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment