Sure we have all heard of plyometrics, in soccer or warm-ups or some sport, but have you ever heard of isometrics? Well you are going to hear about then and then some because they are good stuff man! So if plyometrics means an exercise in which muscles are repeatedly contracted and relaxed in a process to build muscle. So lets take a guess on isometrics. Static? YES! You workout but not by movements. Sounds wierd, yes. I know it is weird but I promise after an isometric workout for the first time you will say every curse word that there is in the freaking oxford dictionary. If anyone slaps me in the face this week I will know why and feel proud to have been smacked in the face.
So say we have legs to do and our exercise is the squat. Sure you can do your reps and sets, or you can isometric it up by holding each squat right above the lowest position for about 10 seconds and then back up and do it again. The whole goal is to keep our muscles contracted at their point of most resistance. Another example is holding a weight above your head with a straight arm for a minute. Sounds easy right? Try it, I dare you!
Now for the nerd aspect of it all, this is just another strategy of maximizing muscle growth. We normally work our muscle fibers by constricting and relaxing them, but when kept under extreme stress and tension for a prolonged period of time, it cause all new rips and tears in them. These new rips and tears that have not been experienced before will lead to massive growth. Remember that muscle fibers grow by damaging them so to speak. We stress them, then they rip and heal back bigger. But at the same time, they try to accommodate to what they are being exposed to. So if you switch it up with isometrics, then cannot accommodate to the workout and you will keep adding muscle at an exponential rate.
Track
Discus and Shot Put practice
3 400s
3 300s
3 200s
(distance did 5 of the rounds, I did three but all the throwing still takes a little bit of a toll) I think in sake of my mile time I need to run all tomorrow and not throw)
Workout
Rest day! Well needed to. I was getting fatigued from day after day of track and working out.

No comments:
Post a Comment